What’s New: GPSPATRON has released its report on this year’s Jammertest in northern Norway. The event this year focused on not just denial, but deception.
Why It’s Important: As GPS/GNSS use grows, so do the ways in which malicious actors try to interfere with it. Deception (spoofing & meaconing) can be especially dangerous. See recent reports of airliners being spoofed toward Iranian airspace, for example.
What Else to Know:
- In the real (i.e. not test) world, it is important to first know if attempts are being made to deny signals and/or deceive receivers.
- The lack of an interference detection system in the Jammertest area seems to have made itself apparent.
- Great intro video at GPSPATRON’s site giving an overview of the event.
In September 2023, GPSPATRON participated in Jammertest 2023, a campaign organised by Norwegian authorities to assess the impact of jamming and spoofing on satellite navigation systems. The campaign was held on the island of Andøya, Norway, a remote area where the organisers can interfere with the Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) signal in a controlled environment. The campaign involved various tests and scenarios, such as high-power jamming, and sophisticated spoofing attacks.
We had two objectives:
- Testing our new GNSS interference classification algorithms for GP-Probe TGE2.
In jammertest2022 we found that some types of GNSS jamming modulation lead to false positive spoofing triggering.
We have now significantly improved our classification algorithms.
- Testing our new single channel detector – GP-Probe DIN L1.
- Testing the new implementation of the GP-Probe TGE2 for heavy weather conditions with an integrated GNSS antenna system.
This article is a detailed report on the testing of our equipment during the event. In this report, we focus on the following parameters for anomaly detection and spoofing classification:
- Detection/classification latency
- Recovery time after spoofing
The numbering of sections and subsections in this report is aligned with the official Testplan for the event “Jammertest 2023” (Transmission Plan).