What’s New: Commercial entity building satellites for remote proximity operations (RPO).
Why it’s Important:
- Until now, only militaries could do.
- RPO can inspect, disable, or destroy other satellites without creating hazardous debris.
- There are more commercial satellites in space than military.
- Commercial capabilities could serve military or other interests.
- This development will likely be a destabilizing influence in space which has too few norms and too little stability.
- CNN: War in Space, The Next Battlefield (note the focus on GPS)
Thanks to member Ryan Terp for pointing out this article.