Blog Editor’s Note: This Volpe Transportation Systems Center opening is a redescribed position that better reflects a broader focus for the department’s efforts.
Looks like a great opportunity for the qualified person to make a big difference to the nation and the world.
We very much hope they find the right person. Maybe it’s you!
(SES) Director, Center for Communications, Navigation, Surveillance Systems and Engineering
US Department of Transportation
This position is one of the Technical Centers at Volpe whose function is to undertake transportation analysis, research and system development that contributes to a compelling vision of the 21st Century transportation enterprise and supports decision making in the development, management, operation, and financing or an integrated multimodal national transportation system that meets 21st Century mobility needs for goods and people.
- The Director for Communications, Navigation, Surveillance Systems and Engineering provides executive leadership and strategic direction over programs by developing plans and policies ensuring that projects for sponsoring organizations are properly identified, formulated, staffed, conducted, and managed to support and advance the strategic goals of the DOT and OST-R as they pertain to transportation communications, navigation and system operations.
- The Director oversees existing programs, develops and prototypes new systems and operations programs and ensures technical excellence within the staff and programs of the Volpe.
- Maintains and applies internationally recognized capabilities in communication, navigation, surveillance, operations management, and associated information technology and data science disciplines to enhance the capacity, safety, and security of current and next generation transportation systems
- Leads assessments of new and advancing technologies for applicability, integration, and deployment to meet emerging transportation needs, problems, and opportunities; and develops strategies to translate and apply those technologies to sponsors.
- Manages the development and deployment of strategies and systems for national airspace system enterprise information sharing, air traffic management systems engineering, and new entrant integration, including ground-based detect and avoid for remotely piloted aircraft, and leverages these efforts to other transportation modalities.
- Formulates program development plans for the Communications, Navigation, Surveillance Systems and Engineering Technical Center to maximize involvement in and support of the highest priority issues on the national transportation agenda, including work in all DOT Operating Administrations; other
Federal, state and local agencies; and international organizations.
The ideal candidate would have an engineering or research background.
For more information about this opportunity or to apply, visit: