What’s New: Extensive jamming/spoofing in Southern Sweden, northern Poland, to include strategic the Suwałki Gap.
- On the 25th and 26th of December a wide swath of northern Poland and southern Sweden was impacted.
- New Year’s Eve, aircraft across a large area of southeastern Finland reported disruptions.
- On 10th, 13th, and 16th of January the northern half of Poland was the primary target.
- On the 19th it was southern Sweden and northern Poland.
Why It’s Important:
- Electronic warfare is warfare.
- These attacks have targeted the aircraft and vessels of other nations operating in international airspace and waters.
- They have also impacted the sovereign territory and infrastructure of NATO members.
- They pose a substantial risk to life and property. See near loss of commercial passenger aircraft due GPS interference.
What Else to Know:
- Russian media has reported that “…since mid-December 2023, units of the Russian Baltic Fleet have been conducting exercises with the EW [electronic warfare] system Borisoglebsk-2 in the Kaliningrad Oblast.”
- As per previous posts, all likely due to Russia reacting to increasing US and NATO influence in Poland and Scandinavia.