Image: Johns Hopkins
What’s New: Another reminder about a threat to GPS satellites and signals no one has any control over.
Why It’s Important:
- Solar activity can disrupt GPS and other GNSS signals for days. In the most extreme cases it can destroy satellites.
- The geological record shows these events are not as uncommon as we might like.
What Else to Know:
- GPS satellites are military equipment hardened against such things. They will likely survive events other satellites will not.
- GPS signals can be easily disrupted.
- Many services and infrastructures, including electrical grids, can be impacted by severe solar events. It is up to everyone to do what they can in their area of influence to protect against such things.
- For more see “Is the Sun our Biggest Enemy in Space?“