What’s New: An article in Forbes by the Executive Chairman of York Space Systems. It:
- Praises Space Force’s great work and the quality of their folks – yes, we agree.
- Advocates for a more diverse, hybrid, military/commercial space architecture – yes we agree.
- Says if we do this right, we will likely avoid “a day without space” – hmmm,,, not so sure about that one. Scientists tell us another Carrington event or worse is just a matter of time. And then there’s debris, and China and other bad actors.
Why It’s Important:
- GPS-based PNT signals are vulnerable, yet essential to virtually every technology.
- We do, indeed, need a “hybrid” PNT system, but one that includes terrestrial PNT systems also to combine with space-based.
What Else to Know:
- The author of the article is the chair of a satellite company, AND the Chair of the Small Satellite Alliance.