What’s New: An article by several authors from the European Commission discussing test results for technologies from seven different companies.
Why It’s Important:
- PNT services in use today are:
- Essential to most every technology.
- Sourced from GNSS and are vulnerable to a wide variety of threats.
- The article shows official recognition of the problem and MAYBE the start of solutions in Europe.
What Else To Know:
- Complementing GNSS can be as important as providing a backup. Properly integrated into a receiver, a complementary signal can improve accuracy and enable a user to keep tracking/re-acquire GNSS signals, in addition to providing info when GNSS is not available.
- Establishing complementary and backup services can protect GNSS services by discouraging and deterring deliberate interference.
- From the article “...there are viable alternatives to GNSS available in the commercial market today.”
- The testing was not able to consider many alternative technologies. The article discusses two of these, R-Mode and eLoran.